THERABAND Care & Safety
This information provides general guidelines for proper safety and care of THERABAND products. It does not replace the information provided with each product.
Carefully read and follow the safety and care instructions provided with your THERABAND product.
Covid Update: How to Clean Your Non-Latex THERABAND Professional Resistance Bands. Click here to review.
Important Safety Information
This Is the Safety Alert Symbol.
It Is used to alert you to important safety information.
To avoid accidents and personal injury, read and obey all safety messages that follow this symbol.
Before Each Use of the Theraband Products, Follow These Instructions:
- THERABAND® products should be used for their intended use only. They can cause serious injury when not used properly. Carefully follow instructions provided by your healthcare provider and instructions found below. Elastic resistance products can strike your body or cause you to fall, or cause serious injury if instructions are not followed.
- Consult your healthcare provider before starting any exercise program. If you have a medical condition, seek their approval before using this product.
- Consult a medical professional if using this product as part of your physical therapy or for rehabilitation purposes.
- Exercise tips provided are guidelines only. They do not replace instructions your healthcare provider gives you.
- Inspect the product for damage before and after each use. Check for any damage where the band may have been tied or attached to an anchoring point or attached to handles. Do not use if torn, punctured or nicked. Immediately discard damaged product.
- Avoid sharp objects such as jewelry, rings, fingernails, objects on the floor, or under your shoe that may puncture or tear the band. Immediately discard product if nicks, tears or punctures are found.
- Only use THERABAND® products in an open area where you can move freely. Avoid areas with tripping hazards. Do not use on wet or slippery floors.
- Use the resistance level that allows you to correctly and safely complete each exercise.
- If your healthcare provider recommended using this band, ask them prior to increasing to the next product level.
- This product is not a toy. Keep out of reach of children and pets. Children should only use with adult supervision as prescribed by an exercise professional.
When Using the Theraband Resistance Bands, Always Follow These Instructions:
- Before starting each exercise, be sure the band is securely attached to your hands/feet. Verify secure attachment to any accessories. If attaching the band, ensure it is securely anchored to a sturdy object.
- Wear eye protection.
- Do not use the band in any way that may cause it to snap towards the head and cause injury to the eyes.
- Perform exercises without the product until you are comfortable. Then begin exercises with the product.
- Never use this product to lift a person, or any other object, above the ground or to support your own body weight.
- Always observe the attachment point throughout the exercise. Any resistance band can break or slip from its anchoring point during use. It may strike your body or cause you to fall, which could cause serious injuries.
- Do not let go of the TheraBand® resistance product if it is under tension. Do not allow the band to snap back.
- Do not over-stretch the product (more than 3 times its length at rest).
- Perform all exercises in a slow, controlled manner. At no time should you feel “out of control”. Take control of the product rather than letting it control you.
- With standing exercises, body alignment is critical. Maintain your balance at all times. Maintain proper posture & stance during exercises. For examples of proper posture and stance go to theraband.com/international-instructions.
- Prior to use, always ensure a safe and secure grip on end of band.
- As with any exercise program, muscle soreness may be experienced over the first few days. If pain persists more than several days, consult your Health Care Professional.
- Breathe evenly while performing these exercises. Exhale during the more difficult phase of the repetition and do not hold your breath at any time.
- Stop exercising if you have dizziness, trouble breathing, increased pain or begin to feel sick. Contact your healthcare provider immediately.
- Do not exercise while experiencing pain.
- This product is not a toy.
- Do not snap TheraBand products towards anyone’s face or body.
- THERABAND® products should not be chewed or ingested.
Caring for Your THERABAND Products:
- Discard damaged product.
- If used in chlorinated water (including swimming pool, spa, hot tub), rinse the band thoroughly with tap water and pat dry.
- Detach from any accessories or anchoring points after each use.
- To clean, use mild soap and warm water, pat dry.
- Store in a cool, dry place, out of direct sunlight, and avoid extreme temperatures.
- Symbols glossary located at performancehealth.com/medical-device-glossary
- Serious events experienced from using this product should be reported immediately to Performance Health and to the local Competent Authority
* Disinfecting: For THERABAND Non-Latex Resistance products ONLY - Please see attached general cleaning and disinfecting protocol.